The Bill Tutte Scholarship is a living memorial to Bill Tutte. It is an annual award, open to outstanding candidates from Newmarket and the surrounding area who wish to study Mathematics or Computer Science at University.
The winning candidate will receive at least £1,000 / year to support his / her university studies for up to 3 years.
Candidates should be in or have just completed their final year at secondary school, and should meet the following requirements:
Essential – the applicant must:
- demonstrate outstanding potential and achieve at least an A grade at ‘A’-Level Mathematics
- live within an 8km / 5 mile radius of the Bill Tutte Memorial on Rutland Hill in Newmarket. Under exceptional circumstances candidates who live outside this area but have some connection with Newmarket will be considered.
- have been offered a place to attend a British university to study Mathematics or Computer Science.
- agree to take part in any associated publicity for the Scholarship and the Bill Tutte Memorial Fund
Desirable – the applicant should:
- demonstrate commitment to his / her studies, either by overcoming difficulties in order to succeed, or by developing his / her interest in the subject independently. We will give particular credit to any candidate who has attended / assisted with the Bill Tutte Club at Newmarket Academy, but this is not a condition of application.
- attend university in the academic year following his / her last year at secondary school; any candidate seeking deferred entry will need to convince the Trustees that his / her academic progress will not be adversely affected.
- The amount awarded will be dependent upon the funds available.
- If in any year no candidate is considered suitable by the Trustees, then no award will be made.
- The first payment will be made in October following the winning candidate’s registration at University.
- In order to qualify for the next year’s payment, the successful candidate must complete a full year’s study and write a short report on his/her year’s work, to be received by the Trustees of the Fund by July 31st.
How to Apply:
- Bill Tutte Scholarship – Information sheet
- Bill Tutte Scholarship – Form A (Application)
- Bill Tutte Scholarship – Form B (Reference)
For Schools / Colleges:
- Please identify suitable candidates and encourage them to apply, giving them a copy of the information sheet. This and all other forms may be downloaded above.
- Please suggest a suitable academic (non-family) referee for the candidate.
- Download and print an application pack, consisting of 4 forms and the information sheet (see above).
- Pass ‘Form B’ (Reference) and the Information Sheet to your referee and ask him / her to return ‘Form B’ to you in time for you to enclose it with your application, which needs to reach the Trustees by 31st August.
- Return your completed ‘Form A’ (Application, including Supporting Statements) with the completed ‘Form B’ (Reference) to the address on ‘Form A’ by 31st August.
- A panel appointed by the Trustees will interview short-listed candidates and announce the winning candidate in early September.
- The successful candidate’s University / College must confirm that the candidate has started their course by October 31st, and then the first payment of £1,000 will be transferred.
- Any necessary communication with candidates will (as far as possible) be by e-mail; please ensure that you advise the Trustees of any changes to your e-mail address.
|31st August||Applications and references in|
|Early September||Interview candidates; announcement of winning candidate|
|By 31 October||Successful candidate’s College / University to confirm that place has been
taken up; Fund releases money.
Photos courtesy of the Newmarket Journal
If you would like to support the Bill Tutte Scholarship, please click on the “mydonate” link below.